The following natural stress relief tips help you take the edge off a stressful day. They will help you unwind and respond to situations the way you would like, instead of reacting and stressing out.
Find ways to manage stress 1-13 here. See natural stress relief tips from our readers at the bottom of the page.
14. Smile, even if you have to force it. Keep that smile on your face for a full minute to lift your mood. This body mind strategy works because when the smile muscles are in position it sends the message to your mind that you feel happy. Better yet, find something you can truly smile about and share your smile with others.
15. Laugh. A few minutes of good old fashioned belly laughter releases muscle and mind tension. Watch a funny video, read the comics, or one of those goofy emails.
Laugh at yourself. Can you find some humor in your situation or how you are reacting to it? What if the same thing happened to someone else? Would it funnier then? Sometimes pretending it happened to someone else helps you see the funnier side of an event (if there is one).
16. Cry. Ever notice how much better you feel right after a good cry? That is because your body actually makes different kinds of tears. When you are angry or sad, those tears release stress chemicals from your body. Emotional tears are another way you are naturally designed to relieve stress.
17. Ask yourself what you feel grateful for in this situation. Dig deep. There is always something, even if it is that you are still breathing.
For example, instead of getting aggravated while stuck in traffic, use the time to say thank you for all the positives in your life. Find something positive in the situation-perhaps you are getting an extra few minutes to listen to a podcast or take a few deep breaths. Send a blessing or goodwill to your fellow travelers. You will be amazed at how centered and peaceful you feel.
18. Forgive yourself, others, your life. Let yourself and others off the hook for not meeting your expectations and for not being perfect. Catch yourself right away and release your judgments. Can you see their side? Can you explore the situation from a different perspective? Take a deep breath and breathe it out.
19. Capitalize on an excuse or alternative for releasing the pressure of stressful emotions. Need to laugh? Watch a comedy. Need to cry? A good 'chick flick' will bring on the tears. Need to yell? Coach your favorite football team from the couch.
20. Grab a pen and write furiously. Set a timer for twenty minutes and give yourself permission to let it all out. Do not censor your words or emotions, just write. Repeat this exercise for two more days if you are still upset. Then see if you feel any different or have a different perspective about the problem.
21. Commit a random act of kindness. This simple stress strategy is a bad mood blaster that will leave you and the recipient of your kindness smiling. Let that harried mother get in front of you in line. Throw the toy for your dog. You might even want to do something nice for someone you feel upset with.
22. Color. This favorite childhood past time is making a big comeback with adults as a natural stress reducer. Favorite pages include mandalas, animals, flowers, paisleys and irreverent images and quotes that make you laugh. Let your inner child out for some coloring play. Here are two favorites. Enjoy.
23. Spend time in nature. Feel the wind on your face. Listen to the birds sing. Look at all the different kinds of plants. Lean up against a tree and relax. Let your bare feet touch the earth. Take a walk in the rain. Feel the ocean waves wash your upset away. You will be amazed at how relaxed and centered you feel. Read more about this popular way to relieve stress in the stress relief tips and stories below.
24. Exercise. Movement helps your body burn up stress hormones and return to balance quicker. A walk is good, but it may not be enough to disengage your mind from stressful thinking. Strenuous exercise works quicker. Cleaning the house with vigor is a great exercise ad reduces stress in more ways than one.
25. Spend time in nature. Feel the wind on your face. Listen to the birds sing. Look at all the different kinds of plants. Lean up against a tree and relax. Let your bare feet touch the earth. Take a walk in the rain. Feel the ocean waves wash your upset away. You will be amazed at how relaxed and centered you feel. Read more about this popular way to relieve stress in the stress relief tips and stories below.
25. If you experience stress headaches due to tiredness or staring at the computer too long, try this effective headache massage technique.
Visit the Stress Relief Guide for more acute and chronic natural stress relief tips and strategies.
And take a look at our contributors' natural stress relief tips below, too!
Do you have a tried and true way of relieving stress when work, holidays, finances, health issues, a traumatic event, and life in general get the best of you? What is your favorite way of coming back to center?
We would love to hear your about your stress relief strategy and a story about how and when it helped you. Feel free to talk about one (or more) of the 21 stress reduction tips shared here or your own ideas.
Just enter your title, click on the link and start typing. Before submitting your article or story, please read and follow the submission guidelines.
Click below to see tips and stories shared by other visitors to this page...
Break the Fear Cycle to Relieve Stress
It is our purpose and innermost desire to experience life to the fullest; yet we are not conscious of this purpose, believing instead that we are at the …
Talk to the Trees
For years, people chuckled when I told them how I was able to communicate with trees, learning their names, their history and even information about myself. …
It is All Too Much
When I feel like it is all too much, I take myself to a park with trees, hopefully with water. I lean up against a tree with my hands on the earth. …
Note Nature to Relieve Stress
Fall Oak Tree by James Hawkins I live at the meeting of two rivers. Our community has constructed a beautiful bike path/walking trail that I take …
God is in Control
Over the years I have found that the most important way to relieve stress is to allow God to take control of everything you do. Whatever happens, …
Gifts From Nature
For many years I have had anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes they go away for maybe seven years and then come back. Right now I am fighting the battle …
Strong Relaxing Teas
What tea/herb is very strong that will keep me relaxed, like a valium type of tea? Thanks. Val's Response: There are several herbs that have …
Too much stress? It's time for 'the bath'
You know those times when you feel like your nerves are grating steel and you're so exhausted that you don't think you can go another minute? Whether …