Healing with Essential Oil Remedies
Healing with essential oil remedies is a most pleasant way to take advantage of the medicinal gifts the plant kingdom provides.
Aromatherapy healing has the power to affect your mind, body and spirit depending on the oils and combinations you choose. For example, on a physical level, lavender is useful for acne, pain, and sunburn. On an emotional or mental level, it helps lift depression, relieve stress and calm anxiety.
Aromatherapy Healing Tips
Healing with essential oils is easy and effective, but you must know what you are doing. Essential oil remedies are potent. They need to be used with care and knowledge. Whether using them for personal care products or for healing it is important to keep the following tips in mind.
- Be careful to purchase only natural, pure oils. Fragrance oils are not essential oils. They usually cost less because they are made of chemicals and have no health benefits.
- Consider purchasing therapeutic grade essential oils for healing purposes. They are more expensive than lower quality oils, but are pure and more effective. They last a long time because you use so little. Popular good quality single oils and blends are usually available through local health food stores and on-line. Look for high quality oils from companies you trust such as Mountain Rose Herbs.
- Remember this mantra. For aromatherapy healing, less is more. Whether making your own essential oil remedies or purchasing them ready made, follow directions for use carefully.
- Do not take essential oils internally. Unless you are quite sure of the quality of your oils and appropriate amounts to use, even one drop of most oils can be unsafe. For internal medicinal use of therapeutic grade essential oils, consult a skilled aromatherapist. There are exceptions to this rule. Some oils, such as peppermint and lemon are safely and commonly used for making candy, gum, tea or seasoning. Follow directions carefully if you choose to make your own.
- Before applying essential oil remedies or personal aromatherapy products to your skin, test it. Apply a small amount to a patch of skin and make sure it doesn't cause a reaction before applying more.
- Aromatherapy does not always smell good. If you want to experience the medicinal qualities of some plants, you have to accept this. However, if you find the scent repulsive, or it gives you a headache or bad reaction, do not use it. It probably is not right for you anyway.
- Some essential oil remedies are suitable for animals. Please research carefully before using aromatherapy on an animal. Different species react differently. What is good for one may be intolerable or deadly for another.
- It is fun and satisfying to make your own aromatherapy healing potions. If you decide to make your own essential oil remedies, it is best to follow recipes created by experienced aromatherapists. This way, you are sure to have a safe product likely to achieve the results you want. Two excellent aromatherapy books are:
Favorite Essential Oil Remedies
The following essential oil remedies are commonly used alone or in aromatherapy healing blends. They are favorites for a variety of wellness needs, and are readily available, very safe when used appropriately and and moderately priced.
Lavender oil is soothing, balancing and calming. It is one of the most known and loved of the essential oils, especially by women, and is a regular addition to many essential oil combinations. You can use lavender neat. it does not have to be diluted with a carrier before applying to your skin.
Here is my favorite way to enjoy lavender oil. Put a drop in your hands and rub them together. Cover your nose and mouth with your hands. Close your eyes and inhale deeply for instant relaxation and stress-relief. Put a drop or two on a cotton ball and carry it with you. Sniff anytime for an instant stress-buster. Heaven!
Other ways to use lavender are:
- Dab a drop of lavender oil on a sunburn, an insect bite or a pimple.
- Use 5-10 drops mixed in a carrier oil or magnesium salts and add to bath water for relaxation and calming.
- Add a few drops to unscented skin lotion for a lovely scent and to soothe and heal your skin.
- Spritz on your pillow before sleep.
- Diffuse in a room to calm emotions and promote a sense of peace.
- Fill an empty lip balm tube with salt crystals. Add a drop or two of lavender oil and put the cap back on. Open for inhaling when you need to de-stress.
My friend Sandi does energy healing with essential oils. She puts a drop of lavender oil in her palms before a reiki session. Her clients love it.
Peppermint oil is cool and invigorating. It is one of the few healing essential oils commonly used in food and beverages. Peppermint candy and mints are offered at many restaurants after a meal to aid digestion and freshen your breath. It helps relieve flatulence and intestinal upset.
Other ways to use peppermint:
- Take a deep whiff to conteract nervous stress and mental fatigue. Use alone or combined with lavender.
- A whiff of peppermint or rosemary oil makes for an instant pick-me-up if you are feeling fatigued or need to focus.
- Use one drop added to water as a gargle for bad breath or sore throat.
- Add a drop of peppermint and a drop of lavender to carrier oil or lotion. Massage into neck, shoulders, temples, forehead to ease a headache.
- Add a few drops to water in a spray bottle. Shake well and spritz yourself to cool down when overheated.
Peppermint oil may irritate your skin so be sure to test first.
Tea tree oil is a very popular essential oil remedy. It has a reputation as one of the best essential oils for healing bacterial or fungal skin infections.
Tea tree oil can be used straight or 'neat'. If it irritates your skin, dilute with a carrier oil or a little lotion.
- Inhale tea tree alone or combined with lavender to counteract negative thinking, nervous exhaustion or shock.
- Apply a drop to toe nail fungus, ringworm, acne, warts, insect bites and infected wounds.
- Use as a steam inhalation for respiratory infections or add a few drops to the humidifier. Add a few drops to a steaming pot of water. Cover your head with a towel, lean over the pot (not too close!) and breathe in the steam for a few minutes.
- Tea tree oil is useful for disinfecting around the house. Add several drops to your natural cleaning spray or laundry.
Eucalyptus and thyme are two more powerful disinfectants and respiratory aids.
Lemon Oil is made from lemon rinds. It is a popular ingredient in cleaning products and can be used in small amounts in lieu of lemons in beverages and food. Note that lemon oil does not stay fresh as long as volatile essential oils. Be sure to get high quality lemon oil if you plan to use it for cooking or medicine.
- Diffuse in a room to clear your head, boost your mood, purify the air, and neutralize odors. Rumor has it that some stores diffuse lemon in the air because it makes for happy shoppers who spend more money.
- Add a drop to honey to soothe a sore throat.
- Add a few drops to a marinade.
- Add a few drops to water and drink as a detoxifier.
Healing with essential oils is easy and effective. To make it even easier, high quality kits are available to get you started.
Since you only use a drop or two in most recipes, even small bottles last a long time.
Whether you incorporate aromatherapy healing oils into your life for physical healing, stress relief, energy therapeutics, or for non-toxic cleaning, they have a place in natural health and home care. Enjoy.
Essential Oil Body Map
Different essential oil remedies aid specific body organs and systems. This infographic provides a reference for which aromatherapy healing oils benefit mind and body.
Click the image to enlarge it.
- See more at: http://visual.ly/essential-oil-body-map#sthash.nCXqyCZP.dpuf
Also see: 12 Experts Reveal Their Favorite Essential Oil Uses
Nov 07, 18 10:24 AM
Adaptogenic herbs, formerly called tonic herbs, support health and healing in times of stress and...
Nov 02, 18 02:40 PM
Expressing gratitude and feeling thankful are powerful spiritual vitamins. Researchers find that people who,,,
Oct 29, 18 04:53 PM
Across the planet, people offer prayers for healing to the God of their understanding with the hope that they and their loved ones will be cured or spared from the ravages of disease. We ask for relie…