Val's Lyme Disease Protocol
by Val Silver
What you don't know can't hurt you is not true when it comes to Lyme Disease. What I didn't know kept me from seeking early treatment. Waiting allowed the Borrelia bacteria to disseminate throughout my body more than if I caught it quicker. It could have kept me from implementing complementary therapies with herbs and supplements.
Unless Lyme is caught right away, the chance of doxycycline clearing it completely is about 60%. And the borrelia quickly morph into round body form to wait out the assault. Knowing that scares me. My diagnosis was early, but not quick enough. I was not going to risk being in the 40% so I did a lot of research and began a protocol.
Please note that I am sharing my protocol notes for informational purposes only. It is not prescribed and may not be right for you. I will adjust it as time goes on. I began the protocol in early August 2017 and plan to continue for up to a year.
First line of defense- I ordered Stephen Harrod Buhner's book, Healing Lyme and began 21 days of doxycycline. Within a day, much of the pain went away. Other symptoms took longer (and are still present). The next step was to begin a holistic protocol for reducing inflammation, amping up my immune system, and preserving my collagen. Borrelia hijacks the immune system, amp up inflammation to make traveling through the body better, and love collagen.
The primary goal of my protocol is to restore my health. The secondary goal is to minimize symptoms.
Include the following practices, foods and supplements on a daily basis or at least a few times a week. Get in several every day:
Multiple times daily
- Listen to my body. Get plenty of rest.
- Take a walk daily, even if it's only for 10 minutes.
- Meal replacement shake with spirulina/chlorella or 10 chlorella caps equally 2 grams. For nutrition and detox.
- Kefir, yogurt, and/or fermented food and multistrain probiotic capsule-especially important during antibiotic therapy and a few months after.
- Green tea - EGCG inhibits multiple cytokine pathways. 100 mg EGCG per cup. Drink up to 4 cups a day (400-800 mg/day).
- Herbs and spices - add cloves, oregano, parsley, turmeric, cinnamon to food as possible.
- Emergen C - has 1,000 mg vitamin C plus B vitamins, zinc- for collagen support and protection.
- Bone broth soup - collagen support and protection, gut health.
- Nettles, oatstraw, peppermint, licorice infusion- nutrition, collagen support and protection.
- 1 tablespoon Great Lakes Gelatin in food for collagen support and protection.
- CoQ-10 (ubiquinol 100mg), Omega 3 oil, milk thistle, turmeric, R-lipoic acid (100mg).
- 3x/wk- magnesium salts bath or baking soda bath - detox and magnesium.
- Various mushrooms including shiitaki, chaga, reishi, cordyceps. Cordyceps inhibits several cytokine pathways. (suggested dose: 6 gms/day. Minimum 3 grams).
- First thing in the morning take 1 TBS liquid bentonite clay followed by 1 TBS psyllium fiber for detox. Do not take anything else for two hours after. Continue daily until end-September.
- Proteolytic enzymes before bed on an empty stomach. Active against fibrin and biofilms. Note: good bacteria also hide under biofilms so don't overdo this.
Chief Resource: Healing Lyme by Stephen Harrod Buhner
- Doxycycline-100mg 2x daily for first 3 weeks. Stay out of the sun. Take with food.
- Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cupsidatum) - 2 tsp powder (1tsp -1Tbs preferred dose x 3 or 1 tsp tincture (½-1 tsp 3-6x/day) - modulates, enhances immune function, inhibits multiple cytokine pathways activated by spirochetes, potent anti-inflammatory, active against multiple gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, strongly protective of endothelial cells in the brain and body, protects against endotoxin damage, and helps reduce Herxheimer reactions, and is a decent cardioprotector. It increases blood flow in hard to reach areas including the eyes, joints, brain, heart and skin which significantly enhances the movement of herbal constituents and pharmaceuticals throughout the body. Strongly protects the brain against inflammatory damage, microbial endotoxins, bacterial infections. Protects and calms the central nervous system. It reduces autoimmune reactions to borrelia, is mildly antispirochetal and acts as a mildly against biofilms. The resveretrol is strongly anti-fungal against candida albicans. Activates AMPK.
- Cat’s claw ( Uncaria tomentosa) - 1 tsp powder x3. Or 1-4 500 mg capsules 3-4x/day or ½-1 tsp tincture 3-6x day for 8-12 months - immune stimulant, analgesic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory in arthritic conditions.
- N-acetyl cysteine-650-800 mg x3 (I take 600 mg x3. Systemic. Strongly protective against neurotoxins in the CNS and can correct neurotoxic effects in the brain, especially the hippocampus. Protects brain mitochondria from oxidative effects. Inhibits brain edema and inflammation in peripheral nervous system. A key constituent in replenishing and maintaining intracellular glutathione in the body. Glutathione protects cells from oxidative stress and is a key detoxifier in the liver.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract - 5 drops x3 for four weeks after antibiotic therapy. This burns my throat and tastes terrible even diluted in water. Ok in a gelatin capsule. Broad spectrum action against bacteria, fungus and protozoa. Acts mostly in the gut as it is not very systemic. Active against motile and cystic forms of Bb in vitro. Did not take with the doxycycline due to possible interaction.
- Oregon Grape Root capsules- 1 capsule x3. Berberine is anti-inflammatory, and immune-enhancing properties. It's effective against a wide range of bacteria, protozoa, and fungi. Activates AMPK which shifts energy toward cellular repair, maintenance and homeostasis. Boosts fat burning in the mitochondria and the release of nitric oxide. Slows the release of free fatty acids. Improves insulin sensitivity and as a bonus aids weight loss and reduction of visceral fat.
- Eleutherococcus senticosus - 1/8th tps am. ¼ tsp pm (my doses). Or ½ tsp tincture x3 before 4pm Or 1200 mg/day powder minimum. 3x that amount in acute conditions. Immune remodulation. The body uses the herb to build up over time. Use at least six months to be really effective. A year is better.
- Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera)- ½ tsp am. 1 tsp before bed. Immune remodulation. Increases the activity of natural killer cells. Decreases CR-P. Adaptogenic. Can reduce excess cortisol. Inhibits the stress pathway to ease anxiety and insomnia caused by stress.
- Andrographis paniculata- 1200 mg x3. Added a few days after finishing the doxy when I felt symptoms starting up again in my joints and arm bones. Inhibits several cytokine pathways including IL-6, IL-8, E-selectin and TNF-a. Moderately anti-spirochetal (strongly against B. miyamotoi), active against multiple bacterial pathogens and viruses including Epstein Barr, Herpes Simplex, Influenza A and HIV. Analgesic, enhances immune function and liver function, protects the liver. Crosses blood-brain barrier where it is anti-spirochetal, anti-inflammatory, and calming. Widely systemic.
- I will be adding Echinacea angustifolia tincture (½ tsp 3-6x daily) for collagen support (preserves HA). Tincture brewing.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Members Questions.